Saturday, April 9, 2011

Back into Blogging

WOW! So, I knew that I hadn't written in a while, but I didn't realize that it had been that long! Oh well, it is never too late to start again, right?!

So Livin' Lightsey has been busy. Writing that, I notice how much I don't like that saying. "Busy" is a one word answer that is so vague it is about ridiculous. I have been teaching 6th grade at OCSI, volunteering in many aspects there and loving it, being a member of The Harbor (our church here on island) and involved in a community group of other young couples as well as a Tuesday night Bible Study,going to Singapore, KL Malaysia and China and a wife to a wonderful on again/off again deployed AF spouse. Whew! When I write it all down, it makes a little bit more sense why I haven't written since December right after arriving on Island.

Speaking of my AF spouse... He is currently here for the next little while and then will be heading back to the States for a class. He won't do it himself (doesn't like to toot his own horn, so I do it for him), but he received another award this past Friday. I was a little bummed because it was all done on the sly as to not let them know about it, but they didn't contact me so that I could be there (oh well- there will be others). Patrick received his second Joint Service Commendation Medal. The citation write up about his time in the Philippines makes my heart burst with pride that I am married to such an incredible man. He would rather die than have all of this out there in the open for everyone to read simply because he doesn't do what he does for the recognition. He is who he is, no more no less. And that he would tell you himself.

We enjoyed getting to be with each other this past Friday. We went to Cape Hedo . It is the northern most point on Okinawa. It is simply beautiful. It was such a lovely day, really one of the first of the spring season that was warm enough to be outside with short sleeves. We took our time driving up, using Hwy. 58 rather than taking the expressway. It is the "long way", but the view is worth the drive; especially when you aren't on a time schedule and have nothing else to do but look at the beauty that God has created. It is almost the same as driving up the PCH in California. You come around a bend and think that it is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen until you come around the next corner and that scene takes your breath away again, as if you are seeing it all for the first time. After looking around the Cape for a while, we decided we'd go and investigate a sign that we'd seen on the road before taking the turn off for the Cape.
It was evident as we pulled up that they don't get many english speaking patrons. We communicated in limited english and japanese (I'm still learning) and we were on our way. The place is called Dai Sekirinzan. It is a quasi-national park. It is an expansive limestone karst. It has four trails for walking, all linking up at points along the way. At one part of the trail, it brings you out to a panoramic view of the Cape. It was simply gorgeous! We walked around for about two hours and then headed for home.

The drive home (or at least getting back to the entrance point of the expressway) was perhaps prettier than the drive up to the Cape. It was about sunset and the colors bouncing off of the water were just exquisite. We were again "those people" who pulled off the side of the road to take pictures. We have a Y plate, so it is understood that "we" will do that. The expressway drive home was relaxing. Just the kind of day needed when heading out the next morning for a Rose Garden breakfast.




No comments: