Thursday, February 9, 2012

OK, here I go again...

So after sputtering, starting and stopping for three years, I am making a new commitment to writing and keeping up with this blog! Oh goodness, where to even begin... new home, the MOVE, life in general, ideas that are bouncing around in my head (It has to look like a ping pong game or one of those ginormous balls out of those things at the grocery store. You know the kind, the ones that seem to have a mind of their own and can do some real bodily harm.) I digress...

So, the biggest thing that is going on right now is the MOVE. It is currently quite the undertaking; more so than I thought it was going to be. I was expecting lots... of what I'm not exactly sure, but lots. I mean, I moved from half a world away back home. I LOVED Okinawa! Check that, I love Okinawa and the friends I will NEVER forget. We had such a great time there. Not every moment was my favorite, but that happens with life. You live on a tropical island, seemingly paradise, but it is like life everywhere... good days and bad days. On the whole, however, I loved it. With that being said, I am so thankful to be Back. No, I did not make a typo when I wrote Back. There are so many things rolled up into Back. It is like coming home after a vacation. You are so incredibly ready, and excited to go, the vacation is awesome and then it is time to return. So, I feel was the nature of our stay in Okinawa. We were able to travel to some AMAZING places: Mainland Japan, Philippines, Singapore, KL, S. Korea and China. And now it is time to be Back.

Back to the Move.
Whew! Things are going pretty smoothly. We were able to do some significant things in Oki that set us up for some ease here on the other side. We signed a lease on a townhouse for rent. We had a realtor give us some ideas, we ran with it, did some research online and ultimately found our place. My dear friend from our duty station in South Carolina did a tour of our choice and emailed me a list just as detailed as she knew I would want. I stayed up several nights into the wee hours of the morning due to the time difference and the end result was us being able to just about move right into our new place. There were just a few hiccups and those were fixed right away. We love our place and our neighborhood!

Our things arrived before we thought they would, to the tune of weeks early. They were delivered a week ago today. Since then we have been unpacking. Here is where the "pretty" of "pretty smoothly" begins. On the whole, it really is small potatoes, but when you can't find parts, you don't have a desk, a bench, or a futon- the guest bed (found those just yesterday). The other thing is that evidently the entry ways are built REALLY small here. Our couch and wing back chair won't fit through the doorway. It is going to have to be hoisted in order to get it into the house. Ok, no worries the company tells us. They send someone out the very next day to take measurements, survey the situation and that person says they will call on Monday once paperwork is filed in order to obtain approval for the additional cost. I have no problem with this at all... I get how the military works (entirely different blog that would probably take days to complete).
So, Monday comes and goes without a word from anyone about the hoisting. "Ok", I say, "no problem since they are probably waiting for a call back... they don't know anything so how can they call me." Tuesday comes and goes without a word or phone call. Well, here is where my southern raising comes into play. See, I was taught that when you say you are going to do something, you do it. It doesn't matter if you don't know anything, how long does it take to make a courtesy call and say "I haven't heard anything, but I told you I would call, so I am calling to let you know that I don't know, but I will give you a call when I do know something." So, I decide that if I haven't heard by Wednesday morning at 10am, I'm calling them to see where things are. You can pretty much imagine where this is going. Yep, I called. I was very polite in asking and was told that there wasn't any news, but that I could call back tomorrow (Thursday/today) and they should know by then. So, you know me, I call back today, just a little bit ago actually. The woman on the line was very pleasant. She confirmed our move and the person that came out to the house on Friday and then she began to look. She came back on the line and said that she couldn't find any emails about hoisting and asked me again about the timeline of speaking with the guy who came out to the house. In my head I'm thinking "WHAT?!? ANY EMAILS?!??, NO EMAILS?!?" She then immediately said that she was going to call the guy that had come out to the house and begin researching/making calls to take care of this. In my head I'm thinking "YES, THAT WOULD BE A GREAT THING FOR YOU TO DO?!?" I replied, "Oh thank you so very much for taking care of this for me." She ended the call by saying that she was going to go and get on this and would call me back to let me know where things stand.
Again, as I stated earlier, small potatoes on the grand scale. I know that it seems frivolous and even out of it to worry about such simple things when so many other people around the world are worrying about where they are going to sleep, what they are going to eat, will anyone harm them or worse. I am genuinely grateful for all of my many blessings!
Here's to hearing good news and shortly.

No comments: