This time last year was a very busy day. It was Conference Day at OCSI. I taught 6th graders and had been helping them since shortly after the first of the year compile "works" to put into their portfolio; discussing with them the need to reflect on both great pieces and those that weren't that great and what that had to say about their learning over the year and where they thought they could improve. The challenge to them was that they were then going to present these "works" and ideas to their parents. The day proceeded just as I thought it would. The kids did really well. Some were VERY nervous, but once they got into their portfolio and began talking to their parents they began to relax. Most of them were afraid to show their parents their "not so good" piece of work. I watched as the parents held back for the most part and listened. Their faces told much of the thoughts they were having. Their faces changed as their child explained what happened and what they did better the next time and what they continued to do. The parents asked great questions and hugged their child at the end of their time. I thanked them for coming and the next parent came in until the day was finished. It was now the end of the day, but it was far from over. It now became clean-up turn-in survey get ready for tomorrow time. I began with returning my classroom to the everyday order. I then prepared for the next coming days, graded journals for the week and put those grades into the computer system. I packed up, grabbed the surveys, locked the door and headed downstairs. On my way down, I ran into friends and chatted for a bit about their conferences and how well their students did. I then moved on and went to talk with my principal and give her the parent surveys. We talked for a bit about my observations and since it was the end of the day, I helped to clean up some of the tables that were outside and bring materials back inside where they belonged. Here the ordinary part of the day ends.
The reports of an earthquake on Mainland began coming in and then so did the tsunami warnings. There was a bit of confusion, but one thing was certain, the lower area below the school was going to be evacuated. I left to go home. On the way home, AFN radio gave a much clearer announcement of what we on Okinawa were expecting. I pulled over and called school to let them know. I headed home with my earpiece in knowing that the recall phone calls would begin shortly. I was right. I had two before I could even get home from school. All the while this was going on, my mind was at this point two other places and soon it would be even more places. Right now, my mind had been on my husband, who was not on the island at the time, but on "business elsewhere" and the people on Mainland. When I got home, I began to talk with friends in our complex about what was happening. I then got a call letting me know that Patrick would soon be heading that way.
Then the reports began coming out. Friends had family members that were being both affected and effected by the events on Mainland. In the coming days, prayer requests were being listed by our students. Tragic tales of unspeakable loss were coming in each day like new waves of water. I had to stop watching the news because the devastation was just too much for me to see. Our school raised money and prayed each and everyday. Patrick and members of the 353rd (along with countless others) were on Mainland helping in Operation Tomodachi.
Uncertainty and devastation thankfully is not the end of the story. This video is amazing. It touched me beyond what words can described.
No comments:
Post a Comment